Saturday, May 23, 2009

To the Author of Life

Today's Word:
Acts 18:23-28 (Paul in Galatia; Priscilla and Aquila set Apollos straight in Ephesus)
Psalm 47:2-10 (The Most High God is King over all the earth)
John 16:23-28 ("Whatever you ask the Father in my name He will give you")

Business has picked up and the general lack of movement in the daily readings has held me back from posting. I am just about at the end of the season and the series, so this is not surprising.

I am not through yet. A spiritual journey is a life-long one, so I know I'm far from done with this. It will become less of a daily thing and more of a weekly one or whenever the Spirit motivates me.

I have noted that the daily passages have been following the advance of the early Church in the book of Acts; and that the gospel readings have been exclusively from John; a semi-continuous reading of chapter 15 two weeks ago, chapter 16 this week, and chapter 17 next week.

This may not be new to anyone, but through this semi-continuous reading I made the following connections:

After the visualization of the Vine and the branches, Chapter 15 is devoted to a treatise on divine, or agape love, and the commandment to love one another as brothers (phileos); not just among the disciples but extending to all. Chapter 16 brings up the subject of the ultimate cost of discipleship - as well as the cost incurred should one decide against it. Chapter 17 is Jesus' prayer of consecration of the apostles, as well as his personal benediction before his passion and death. All of it is as powerful as it is verbose. What I mean to say is, once one gets past John's well used ability to turn a phrase, and can listen while reading, the deeper message is found and sinks in.

I am very thankful for all that has come about this season. Not all I received has been easy to hear or accept. I know it was better received, accepted, and understood than it's ever been. For this to continue, to make this work for the benefit of as many as possible, it is mine to continue to express thoughts, probe, clarify, and discern; and ultimately, to love; to act and to 'do the right thing.' This is what we were created for!

Empty Hands held high
Such Small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the word I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to you

Chorus:
Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Lord, I give my life
A living sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be your hands and feet

So may the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to you

(Chorus)

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my lifesong sing to You


(Chorus)

--Lifesong (2005)
Mark Hall, Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment